Tuesday, March 11, 2008

lady writes like a dude

This just in: I WRITE LIKE A DUDE.

I plugged in some old reviews I wrote to the Gender Guesser, this algorithmic carnival trick that guesses your gender (but not your age or weight) based on your writing style. It's probably total BS, but it's entertaining.

The best (?) part is that it judges your writing for both formal and informal styles. My writing is almost always informal and the samples I plugged in all fell into that style, but for one review I wrote, which came out 60.44% male on the informal scale, these were the results for the formal scale:

Genre: Formal
Female = 542
Male = 487
Difference = -55; 47.32%
Verdict: Weak FEMALE

Weak emphasis could indicate European.

Ha! Awesome.

I should probably be offended by this "tool," but it's just too ridiculous to take seriously. (I'm sure if I used writing samples from my current day job, the results would lean quite heavily toward the girly side. Because I have to use words like "chic" and "gorgeous" a lot. meh.)

So step right up and give it a whirl! See if you write like a boy or a girl!

No comments: